Saturday, April 18, 2009

Why Teach Graphic Novels?

I cut out this article from the 3/2/2008 issue of the Pioneer Press to post in my classroom. (Sorry if it's hard to read; I'm still getting used to using my scanner.)

I found it interesting how the newspaper wrote about a class using the graphic novel format. It caught my eye when I was skimming the paper that day, as is the effect of graphic novels on many young readers.

If you can't read the article, it tells about a middle school teacher who developed a 9-week graphic novel elective course, that students who choose to take it, take in conjunction with the "regular" grade level English class. The teacher reports on how the format of the graphic novel appeals to many types of "non-readers," from low-level readers, ELL students, and students who just aren't interested in reading.

I don't envision myself teaching graphic novels for a full 9 weeks, but after reading a few articles online and personally seeing how my own "non-readers" get wrapped up in graphic novels, I do want to work something into my curriculum. Students already choose graphic novels for their independent reading book; to ensure that everyone is familiar with the format, I would have students read at least one graphic novel during the course of the first semester. 

Then, during the second semester, I would teach a few lessons on the basic elements of a graphic novel, and what it does and does not have in common with "standard" novels. As part of these lessons, I would ask them if they thought of graphic novels as "pop culture" or something deeper, such as how "classic literature" is viewed. Are both genres worthy of study? Why? Why not? Do they think adults would have the same experience reading graphic novels as they did, or would they brush them off as merely extended cartoons?

Then, I would use Gretchen Schwarz's idea of adapting a classic literary work into a graphic novel as a major group writing assignment for one piece of literature we read as a class that year (To Kill a Mockingbird, The House on Mango Street, stories from Greek Mythology, Romeo and Juliet). Each person in a group would be assigned a responsibility, whether each person would do the drawings and writing for a certain amount of chapters, or a few people did the drawings and the others did the writing. It would be up to the groups to determine what is a fair workload for everyone involved. 

The groups' graphic novels would be due toward the end of the school year, when we'd have a day to read what everyone came up with. It would be fun to have several copies of each group's final product and have them bound, but that would depend on current resources, of course. As part of the publication day, I would have them discuss how the process of making the graphic novel deepened (or didn't!) their understanding of the original piece of literature. What did they learn about plot structure, character development, symbolism, theme, writing style, tone/voice, etc?

All in all, I think graphic novels are a valid resource in an English classroom, and probably in other discipline areas as well. Students are not "getting off the hook" in not reading text-only books; they are developing their literacy skills via a different, more visually appealing format.



No comments:

Post a Comment